Owning a car require responsibility because you need to check your car from time to time especially if you will be going for a long ride. Regular ring and valve check can help prevent leaks that may lead to major damages to your car later on in life. Engine valves plays vital role in any type of car. If valves are not properly placed or the rings are not properly seated, it may cause the car to consume more oil. A compression test must be done to check for such issue. Checking ring problems and valve leaks are very important to prevent more serious problems later on. This article will help you find out how to check for bad rings and valve leaks from your car.
- You can check for bad rings by pulling the spark plug wires, you can do that using a wrench and with the help of spark plug socket.
- Now screw the tip of the compression gauge of any spark plug openings of the cylinder head.
- You need to block the opening of the throttle through assistance coming from the accelerator pedal. You need to step on it down to the floor of the car which will enable the engine to have enough supply of air.
- You need to ask someone to turn on the engine while the accelerator pedal is down. You need to take note of the readings of the gauge and then do the test on the rest of the cylinders that you have in the car. The reading should be about 130-160 pounds per square inch for every cylinder.
- You will know if the rings are properly working by seeing the cylinder readings within the range required. If there is a low reading, you need to just put a small amount of water into the cylinder using a spray bottle. If after putting on some water the reading is still not good, you need to change the rings because they may be worn out and needs to be changed.
Valves with leaks
- You need to fasten the hose of the gauge first.
- Turn on the engine and let someone help you by stepping on the accelerator pedal, this will enable the engine to speed up.
- Check the needle of the gauge and see if the reading is steady or not. If the needle is steady, it means that they are in good condition but if the need needle is fluctuating, it means that there is a leak within the valve and you have to check it deeply.
Always wear glasses for your safety when checking parts of your car.